By James Forslund
There is a common misconception surrounding bear hunting and the meat that it provides. For centuries, original inhabitants of America used to prefer bear meat over venison. They considered the meat to taste better, they rendered the fat down to cook with and to waterproof things. All the while venison was mostly used for its buckskin. This recipe is a favorite of ours and a great introduction to bear if you have never tried it.
- Ground bear (1lb. for family of 4)
- Italian seasoning or spicy Italian seasoning
- Spaghetti noodles or other noodle of preference
- Spaghetti sauce (home made or store bought)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cajun seasoning (can sub w/ red & white pepper)
- Black pepper
- Avocado oil or other non-stick oil/spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring pot of water to boil and add noodles
- Once noodles are added, brown the meat and add Italian seasonings (COOK WELL DONE to kill trichinosis)
- When meat is well cooked, mix in spaghetti sauce
- Strain noodles
- Add meat sauce to noodles, stir well
- Spray oil into glass pan
- Add meat sauce + noodles to glass pan
- Add pepper & cajun seasoning (on top or mixed in) to taste
- Add an even layer of shredded cheddar cheese to the top
- Put in oven and bake until ALL of the cheese is melted but not burnt (Keep an eye on this!)
- Take out of the oven and let cool, then serve!
Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below or by dropping us a line HERE.